Ilhem

Ilhem

Afflicted

Afflicted - Brandon Shire 3,5 starsThis book drove me nuts : I read it at an irregular rhythm oscillating between 3 and 4 stars, with rare falls to 2 and a few rushes at 5. I finally came up with a mathematical average of 3,5 stars. It is the most honest I could do to rate it.The first merit of this book is to build a sensually completely different world and I felt overwhelmed by familiar but enhanced sensations to a point I never lingered to think of. It was sometimes unpleasant, sometimes erotic, often surprising. Another reality.Hunter is my reader self’s best friend. He is reputed for his “ability to match voice, character setting, and auditory scene” (…)“he wanted to build smiles one minute and a blister of desolation in the next”.I think that it is Brandon Shire’s strong point : I love how he gives a unique, audibly different voice to each of his characters and how the dialogues settle those voices in interactions that made me smile and laugh and could reveal a world of pain in a heartbeat. I like the stories they tell. I like how they tell Hunter, who happens to be blind, Dillon to whom a lot of shit happened, their falling in lust and in love, their insecurities.And then, there is my problem.:)Brandon Shire can write, it’s a given. But the narrative often left me slightly disconnected with the flow of the story, frustrated and feeling like I had lost my best friend, the one who is interested in ”concise and penetrating”.It lingered too long in descriptions or explanations of feelings and inner conflicts that I would have liked to discover and feel by myself or had already guessed or hit me later in one single efficient thoughtful paragraph. It also gave sometimes too much information and beautiful, evocative, self sufficient sentences were drowned. Don’t misunderstand me. I liked this book (I obviously got involved), I’m interested in what the author has to tell. It’s just that a whisper of very few words, or a single powerful punch work better for me.Now, go for it and see by yourself. Me, I’m waiting for the sequel.