Ilhem

Ilhem

Skybound

Skybound - Aleksandr Voinov It is the end of the 3rd Reich. Its last days, its last hours. It is the end of World War II and its last battles.The imagery and the flying action managed to give something epic to the story despite its shortness, while the pace alternated between the excruciating wait of the impending defeat and the rapidity with which the world and the characters’ lives could fall over.Lieutnant Baldur Vogt is an eagle, Félix a laborious ant who worships him from the ground until his hero comes to him.Together, they became simple men stealing moments of intimacy, snatching something for themselves from the chaos, building so much in so little time in order to choose finally how to face the end of this war.The 1st person POV, the restraint and the poetic words made me share these so very fragile and so very precious moments in a unique way, intimately but with the delicacy they deserved.The shortness of it all gave me a feeling of overwhelming urgency. It was a little like holding a beautiful, trembling bubble in my hands, fearing the moment it would burst and hoping….I am grateful that Baldur chose life and love and that the story ended with hope and life going onAll in all, Skybound is rather a long prose poem than a short story. Simply perfect.