Ilhem

Ilhem

Heart's Home - H. B. Pattskyn 2,5 stars rounded up to 3Alun is a werewolf, who’s been banished from his pack and lives as an outcast, James is a sort of out of the closet, sweet and bold young earl, building his own life as a constable. One year after Jack the Ripper terrorized London, women are slaughtered again in Whitechapel and they meet over a victim’s body. Literally. I have very mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it was way better than what I expected before reading it and on the other hand, it left me frustrated because it didn’t quite live up to its promising beginning. The author set a compelling darkish atmosphere for this historical romance and I couldn’t wait to see how she would develop the introduced threads.My complaint is that a great amount of pages was spent overdeveloping the romance to the detriment of the paranormal world building that occurred a little late in the book and to the murder solving intrigue that was rushed. The story dragged a bit while Alun agonized endlessly over his burgeoning romance with James and I rolled my eyes at many repetitions and tapped my feet as I waited for the story to move forward. It did but I had the feeling that each thread was developed as a block instead of being weaved with the others and the result was somewhat unbalanced and unsatisfactory to my taste.In other words, each part had most certain qualities but ended up being only okay when I thought that the whole could have been really, really good.Now, I realize that this story had the merit to get me invested and I invite you nonetheless to give it a try. I certainly don’t regret doing so because, all in all, it was a pleasant surprise and you might end up liking what frustrated me!