Ilhem

Ilhem

Frost Fair - Erastes 2,5 starsFrost Fair was an agreeable read at the beginning.The setting of the story during what I learnt was the last River Thames Frost Fair in 1814 is a pleasant choice. The writing is elegant and precise, giving details without being too descriptive and depicts the atmosphere of these exceptional days in the Londoners’ lives. Gideon is a young, beautiful printer who is struggling to survive and is mooning over Redfern who is rich, belongs to the ton and is mooning in return over Gideon. Both are mooning secretly of course and Frost Fair is the story of their love overcoming obstacles : their shyness, their difference of position in society, the punishment of sodomy by hanging and a villain plotting their failure by pure malice.The intrigue is rather conventional but would have stayed pleasant if the threads introduced had been fully developed. Instead, I felt that the story was rushed; every time something happened, the plotline was cut short.The villain’s stupidity baffled me!Gideon and Redfern could have made up for it if their passion had burnt. They were supposed to feel a “hopeless passion” and a “deep emotion” and I only perceived flustered, content and sad. They have already met at the beginning of the story and are already attracted to each other. I didn’t perceive any difference between attraction, crush, growing love, didn’t feel their feelings evolve, only was told that they had.This book disappointed me. However, there were qualities that I think were not exploited here but will be perhaps in another story and I will give the author’s work another try.