Ilhem

Ilhem

The Land of Night - Kirby Crow 2,5 stars I really liked the beginning that settled a great ambiance of court machinations in an icy, labyrinthic castle and I thought : wow, fantasy Medici in a fantasy Louvre! Sadly, I steadily lost interest until the bear hunt that occurred at approximately 60% and was breathtaking, lost it again and finally read the last 30% with mild interest but no thrill.3 stars for the whole seriesI liked the first book very much : the light characterization and exploration of the characters’ relationships didn’t bother me that much because I read it as a tale of wandering adventures in open foreign spaces and I was delighted with the imagery and the bursts of action.The second and third book, however, took place in confined spaces that enhanced emotions and thus the awkwardness of the psychological introspections. The plot focused on the romance and the web of political and familial alliances and struggles; my moderate investment in the MC’s romance became more and more tenuous, my patience for their misunderstandings thiner and thiner and my interest for the kingdom’s fate more and more fluctuating.In my opinion, Kirby Crow’s talent (in this series at least) lies in her very visually evocative writing : she draws gorgeous decors and sets vivid atmospheres that explode in breathtaking actions. This is why I will definitely explore more of her work.