Ilhem

Ilhem

Listening to Dust - Brandon Shire 4,5 stars4,5 stars looks like splitting hairs but "Listening to Dust" is an emotional story built on multiple voices and dialogues mastered to the point that I sometimes resented the narrative parts.It rang more than a bell and I had a hard time looking for a way of reviewing it without spoiling it. I came up to none even if I don’t think I am revealing too much.The key point of this book is in its setting.When we begin reading, the worst has already happened. No impending doom waiting to happen and keeping us on edge. From then on, the story is featuring two human beings living in parallel their own tragedy.Stephen is a gentle, poetic and romantic soul who’s been taught that love overcomes everything. His voice is profoundly melancholic and anguished, with a tendency to dress his emotions in lyricism. Yet, it is his most naked, simplest words that moved me the most. "Please, write me back"His tragedy lies in the fact that he is learning the hardest and loneliest way that although he believes in resilience and fighting against fate, his lover is not a mirror of himself and he voices the hard, hard lesson of this book:"Yes, I cannot breathe without you in my soul, but I also know that I cannot take your breath for you."Dustin is broken and stoic, too scared to hope. He feels that he is condemned in advance, his conflict has no solution and his fate becomes fatality. He found a sanctuary, stole something for himself but stays firmly anchored in his own lonely, silent tragedy. Dustin is a slap.”It’s not that easy, Stephen, and not that simple; despite all your bards and how much we’d like that to be true. It isn’t. Love isn’t going to fix me, or you. It’s not a laxative that just helps you shit out all the crap you’d rather forget”The story is not linear, it flows through the shared memories of 3 grieving people.All things considered, it is not so much about them telling the tale of a tragedy than them giving voice to Dust and us listening. This I won't spoil.:)