Ilhem

Ilhem

Stranded - Andrew  Grey ***mild spoilers ahead, perhaps***Not my kind of book. My bad.Kendall is a handsome, talented and successful stage actor in Broadway shows. In his private life, he’s been partnered for a decade with Johnny, a handsome, talented and successful writer. As the story begins, Kendall is giving the last representation of his current show and is expecting to spend quality time with his beloved Johnny who‘s sadly showing a serious lack of enthusiasm. Later on, Kendall’s agent gets him a big role in a film and our man flies to Hollywood without Johnny who refuses to come along. There, Kendall seems to have a secret admirer who sends him flowers, and as time passes by, it looks like the admirer is indeed a creepy stalker and Kendall is in danger.This book is all about Kendall’s and Johnny’s dying relationship. The narrative alternates between Kendall’s life on the set, Great Miscommunication moments on the phone with Johnny and flashbacks of their past - and OMG-I-can’t-take-the-suspense, lost? - romance. The creepy stalker spices it up and ends up being very useful to the story development.Kendall is an irreproachable character who doesn’t succumb to temptation, wins everyone over, becomes the soul of the film... Mister Perfect.If you ask me, he is dull and the Great Miscommunication trope makes him often sound not too bright. Besides, I’m really not fond of the major twist in the romance Oh-honey-I-almost-lost-you-I-love-you-I-m-gonna-protect-you-and-we-are-going-to-stay-attached-at-the-hip-forever and its easy and fast resolution, the story is too light on the creepy mystery side and too heavy on the sappy side. If you don’t ask me however, Kendall is hot and sweet, Johnny is hot and manly, and the story is angsty without great trauma and very romantic. Apart from too many mundane details, there is nothing to say against the writing, it is well constructed and is efficient if you’re into very sweet romance and like calm waters.My loss might be your gain.