Ilhem

Ilhem

Whatever The Cost - Lynn Kelling DNF at 36%I’m quitting when the story is picking up and to be honest, is getting better but I have no motivation to read it anymore. I’ll just explain shortly why.The author’s got an interesting story arc, her characters are lovable, hot, sweet and damaged but I don’t like the execution that I find inconstant.I’ll overlook several oddities and give only one example :If I understood correctly, Liam protects himself by distancing himself during the sex sessions : he builds personas, fantasies that allow him not to be there, that make it all a little less unbearable. Then, I didn’t need the first scene to titillate my possible cow-boy kink and I didn’t need to be in the client’s head and enjoy the ride : either we’re playing with a rentboy kink and I jump happily into the fantasy, or we’re dealing with a damaged character I’m supposed to feel empathy for and it doesn’t help building the angst. It’s the first scene of the book.What I mean by inconstancy is that the author gives clues about the kind of story she’s writing and about her characters but sometimes, the interactions are counter-examples and/or counter-productive.Don’t think that it’s always like that, it is not. My friends tell me that the story picks up, that it gets better and that they loved the characters. I believe them, I can see the potential but the beginning and the first 25% rubbed me the wrong way. It’s probably my own fault for not being in the mood to be patient and indulgent and being picky and grumpy but I didn’t build any motivation for this story.I’m looking at my Kindle, I see that I still have 64% to read and I’m huffing and puffing. It doesn’t make sense to keep on reading.