Ilhem

Ilhem

There is a consensus : we want MORE

No Rest for the Wicked - A.M. Riley

No Rest for the Wicked is the second installment in the “Adam & Peter” series : Adam has settled in his undead status, he’s a no-I-am-not-working-for-the-cops consultant in a murder by exsanguination case again, AND he’s trying to be a boyfriend.

I’ve already reviewed Immortality is the Suck not so long ago, and I didn’t intend to review this book at first. But I am so blissfully Adamized that I had to share the happy and some Riley love! Bear with me, I’ll try to make the gushing short.

So, what’s so good? The mystery is well done but it’s not Agatha Christie, it’s not a deep deep exploration of the human soul, it’s well written but  not free from a few flaws about which I will  not elaborate because I couldn’t care less.

Because in this instance,

Nothing’s endearing like a selfish prick trying to be good, and still unable not to bend the rules, but still trying some more. Nothing’s funny like a badass  turning for one brief episode into a jealous housewife and aware that he’s the unliving parody of a soap opera. Nothing’s sweet and again, funny like a cynical ass painstakingly blogging to help kids. Nothing’s sexy like Adam manhandling Peter and nothing’s good like rough men with unbridled libido making gruff, dare I say modest declarations of love.

Adam & Peter.

Roger & Sean.

Bill & Chris.

Robert & JD.

Stefan & Evans.

I love Riley’s characters. The stories may be different, the objective quality may vary, but  they have this common point of being perfectly imperfect, and I find them all funny sometimes, endearing,  sexy, rough-and-sweet, passionate and so, so gripping always.

Of course, It doesn’t hurt that they’re usually surrounded by great if not always supportive secondary characters, that the story telling generally packs some action punch and occasionally sneaky twists,  and that A.M. Riley can write chemistry and make you ship dysfunctional like crazy!

As you can see, I’m enamoured and biased. But that’s because even though I loved some stories more than others, they all sent me to a happy place where I am entertained and my heart is set aflutter. None of them ever truly disappointed me.

I can’t recommend Riley’s backlist enough and this series is an excellent point to start. Go grab it. You. Will. Have. Fun.

Source: http://www.boysinourbooks.com